Monday, June 28, 2010

Kayla-The Cold Hard Truth Part Nine.

Title says it all, comments?!

If you have evidence built up against you, then the more you try to deny what you did, the more they don’t believe you.

I was roused out of my thoughts by a harsh, rapid knocking at my door. I dropped the knife with a squeal as the knocking had surprised me. I looked around quickly as if wondering if someone had seen what had just happened. I then shook my head at my weird paranoia and ran down the stairs to the person who was still beating the crap out of the door.

“Hello?”I called out hesitantly, scared to open the door because of all the people that it could be.

“Isabella. It’s the policeman from the murder. Officer Greggory?”Came a booming voice from the other side of the door. Had that been his name? How had I missed that? I quickly unlocked the door and smiled to the officer who was frowning back at me.

“Sorry that it took me a while to answer the door. I was resting,”I lied easily as though I had done it for some time now. Since when was I comfortable with lying?The frown on the officer’s face, if it could actually happen, got larger. I looked up to him wide, innocent eyes as he stared down at me with sorrowful eyes.

“Listen, Isabella, I know today is the funeral, but I need you to come with me,”He said and my heart sank to the floor. Oh, shit.

“Where are we going?”I asked as if I had no idea. Though I knew exactly where he would be taking me.

“You know exactly where. Now come on, Isabella,”He said and used his hand to beckon me towards the police car that was sitting in my drive way. I shook my head and suddenly bolted back further into the house after slamming the door with more strength than I had thought that I had. I heard the door slam open behind me, and I ran even faster into the kitchen. I knocked every single thing down as I ran. Lamps, tables, chairs, glasses, anything that I could get my hands on was thrown behind me to stop Officer Greggory from getting me. I didn’t even know why I was running as I slammed the back door behind me and started to run into the dark woods behind my house. The only thought that was going through my head was get away, get far far away.The thought scared me, it was as if it knew that I was guilty of something. To my knowledge, I wasn’t guilty of anything, was I? I leaned my back against a tree as I got deeper into the forest to catch my breath. My lungs burned as I breathed, and I was soaked head to toe from the rain that I didn’t even realize was falling. My body felt sore, not being accustomed to running at such a fast pace. I screamed as hands grabbed my wrists and pushed me onto my stomach on the ground. I tried to kick and squirm away, but the person on top of me weighed a lot. I felt metal at my wrists, and I felt like throwing up. I had just been handcuffed by Officer Greggory. I had been caught. It was all going to go down hill from there, I just knew it.

The ride to the police station was long and embarrassing. Officer Greggory was yelling at me about why I had ran if I was supposedly innocent. I felt like a child in trouble with their parents, and in theory, I was. Once we arrived at the station, I was literally shoved into an interrogation room by another officer. He wasn’t very nice at all because he also thought that I had offed my brother. According to all the glares I got, lots of people thought that I was guilty. Officer Greggory came in a few minutes later and took the cuffs off before telling me to sit in the chair near the table. I sat and watched as he did the same. He stared at me for a while before starting.

“Why did you kill him, Isabella? You were twins. Supposedly the best of friends. Why would you kill him?”He asked me with so much hate and regret in his voice that I shuddered. I stayed quiet, not wanting to answer all the questions. It was too much to think about. He sighed deeply at my silence and asked more questions.

“At least tell me why you ran,”He said softly as if coaxing a baby into doing something. I looked up at him with tears in my eyes. Maybe for once, I would finally tell the truth that I had hidden from everyone, even myself. Maybe I would finally tell them exactly what happened that morning.

“I was scared,”I answered truthfully. He looked amused at that.

“Why would you be scared?”He asked with a slight smile tugging at the edges of his lips.

“I was scared you would find out the truth,”I took a deep breath,”I was scared you would finally know what happened that morning, and that you would be mad, daddy.”

1 comment:

  1. Holy shit?! Sorry, that was really my first impression after reading the very last word. When I started this story, I was wondering where in the world her parents are, I actually thought they're dead or something. And the police guy doesn't really treat her as his daughter. Now the only missing person was her mum.
    Anyway, I liked how you described her actions when she ran away and I'm really excited to read the next part. Great job. :)

    ReplyDelete