Sunday, June 13, 2010

Kayla- The Cold Hard Truth Part Three

Part 3 of The Cold Hard Truth. I really hope people are liking this and not just ignoring it. Criticize me or something.

Floating…if only we could all do that. Just float through our lives without a care in the world. But that’s not the way the world works.


The next few hours went by in a blur of police sirens, lights, people, questions, blood, and even more questions. I floated through it easily as I had removed myself from the situation. It was like my body was on auto-pilot. It still answered questions and obeyed orders, but I wasn’t actually there at the moment. I was just watching it all with indifference as if this was happening to someone else and not me. As if my twin brother hadn’t just been murdered. As if he and I were just watching those CSI shows or something like that. The only time I was brought back to reality was when my grandmother came back to the house. Someone must have called her. I had probably told them her number when they asked for it. She came running in with her hand over her heart as if calming it. She looked from me to the policeman who was currently questioning me.

“Isabella. Oh, Isabella,”She came running to me and my face was immediately pressed to her neck as she hugged me. My reaction was to hug her back, so I did. The policemen watched the display of affection with sorrow in his eyes as if he felt sorry for me. How dare he feel sorry for me? Did his twin just die? No, he didn’t. He had no right to feel sorry for me. He must have seen the anger in my eyes because he looked to my grandmother who still had me in her vice-like grip.

“Mrs. Northfield?” My grandmother looked to the man and nodded after finally letting go of me, so I could sit back down on our couch.

“I assume you know what has happened here?”He asked her slowly. She gave a nod and my heart lurched at the amount of emotion in her eyes. She had to hear over the phone; I had to see it. We both had our own nightmares that we would have to deal with for the rest of our lives. She would always fear that someone was dead when her phone rang; I would always be haunted by the image of my brothers mutilated body.

“Do you know what happened exactly?”My grandmother questioned the man. He looked uncomfortable a moment before nodding slowly.

“We have a vague idea,”He took a deep breath before continuing on with the story that I would have burned into my brain for years to come,”We think that Isaac had a friend over. There is evidence of someone else having been in the room before he had been murdered. We think that late last night, early this morning, the person must have killed Isaac with a knife of some kind. We think that the person had continued playing the game after Isaac was dead because of what Isabella has told us. So for any of this to happen, someone Isaac trusted had to have killed him.”

4 comments:

  1. Lovely writing! But, you already know that. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only know that because you keep telling me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally understood the meaning of the italicized words after reading this part. I think it was a good addition to the story, but I thought it would be better if you added it at the end of every part? :/
    I liked the way you expressed the feeling that Isabella had been going through, like you were the one who experienced it. Amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete