Part seven, there is more Ruth in this one.
Sometimes we take the smallest of things, and we make it a huge deal when really, it meant nothing at all.
When I woke up, the first thing I was aware of was that I was no longer in the tent at the cemetery. I was in a bed. A soft, cozy bed that I just knew was mine. When I opened my eyes, I saw that I was right. I was in my room on my bed. I was still in my clothes that I had worn to the funeral.
“Oh, Isabella! You’re awake,”Ruth said with a small smile as she walked over to the bed that I laid on. Her eyes were full of tears and she had come from the bathroom, I could only guess that she had been in my brother’s room. I hadn’t dared to go in there since I discovered his body.
“What happened?”I asked in a hoarse voice that I could barely believe was mine. Ruth tucked some of her brown hair behind her ear before answering my question.
“You fainted. It was crazy there for a little while because everyone ran to you. Your grandmother was in hysterics till we told her that you were still breathing. You looked d-dead. I convinced her to still have the funeral, and I drove you and I back here,”She said and I noticed how she had stumbled over the word dead with some difficulty. She sighed before continuing,”I didn’t want to go anyways. I love Isaac, you know that, but I didn’t want to go to it. It would all just be too surreal, you know?” I gave a nod of my head. I knew exactly what she meant. Actually going to my brother’s funeral it different from just saying he was dead. Ruth was rambling about something, I wasn’t sure what. I felt bad for ignoring her, but I just didn’t want to listen to her talk about things when I was too busy thinking about my brother. Well, I wasn’t listening till I heard her say the words that sent a shiver of shock through my whole system,”I just hate knowing that I was the last to see him since I left that morning before your grandmother got up, so I could sneak out of the house.”
No comments:
Post a Comment